Your cart is currently empty!
UFC Vegas 73 – Dern Punishes Hill
UFC Vegas 73 results are here to review. The night was great with some excellent finishes and a main event that showcased a revitalized Mackenzie Dern. The event aired on Saturday May 20, 2023 on ESPN+ with the main card going live at 6:00pm CDT from the UFC APEX in Las Vegas, NV.
MacKenzie Dern fought like a woman possessed on Saturday night. Although the fight won fight of the night, it was a one sided clinic put on by Dern. To her credit, Angela Hill fought through difficult positions and submission attempts. She found some success on the feet but Mackenzie Dern had some aggression to release. All images below courtesy of ESPN+ and UFC.
After five rounds of Mackenzie Dern punishing a very talented Angela Hill, the Dern fan base has to have grown immensely. Even we can’t wait to see what’s in store for this newly revitalized Mackenzie Dern. The women’s strawweight division is officially on notice.
After three rounds the judges scored the fight 49-43, 49-44 and 49-44 for the winner by unanimous decision Mackenzie Dern. Her father came in during her octagon interview and awarded her a 3rd degree black belt ranking.
In the UFC Vegas 73 co-main event, Edmen Shahbazyan squared off against Anthony Hernandez in a fast paced middleweight bout. The fight may not have had immediate title implications, however the fighters were making their cases for a top 15 competitor.
Edmen Shahbazyan looked to be winning the exchanges in the first round. He was working off of his jab and even threatening submissions of his own, until Hernandez found his pace and worked submissions of his own and strikes that opened a cut over Edmen Shahbazyan’s eye.
The second round was a different story, Shahbazyan looked gassed and Hernandez looked like he was just getting warmed up. After a few takedowns (which resulted in a some serious ground and pound) Edmen Shahbazyan was feeling the toll. Shabazyan complained of a possible broken rib between rounds and after witnessing the elbows dropped on him, nobody doubted it.
The third round had Hernandez picking up where he left off. He secured a single leg takedown after catching a kick, in about 15 seconds of the final round, and worked some big elbow strikes from the dominant position. A couple of elbows opened a cut on Shahbazyan and a couple more unanswered strikes had Herb Dean calling the fight by TKO stoppage in the third round for Anthony Hernandez who looked spectacular.
UFC Vegas 73 Results
MAIN CARD (AIRED ON ABC AT 2:00PM CDT)
- Mackenzie Dern (13-3-0), (-170) vs Angela Hill #14 (15-13-0), (+145) – women’s strawweight bout – Dern by unanimous decision – Fight of the Night
- Edmen Shahbazyan (12-4-0), () vs Anthony Hernandez (11-2-0), () – middleweight bout – Hernandez by 3rd round KO/TKO
- Emily Ducote (12-8-0), (+135) vs Loopy Godinez (10-3-0), (-155) – catchweight bout – Godinez by unanimous decision
- Andre Fialho (16-7-0), (+190) vs Joaquin Buckley (16-6-0), (-225) – welterweight bout – Buckley by 2nd round KO
- Diego Ferreira (18-5-0), (-155) vs Michael Johnson (22-19-0), (+135) – lightweight bout – Ferreira by 2nd round KO – performance of the night
PRELIMS (AIRED ON ESPN & ESPN+ AT 3:00pm CDT)
- Maheshate (9-3-0), () vs Viacheslav Borshchev (7-3-0), () – lightweight bout – Borshchev by 2nd round KO/TKO – performance of the night
- Karolina Kowalkiewicz (16-7-0), (-130) vs Vanessa Demopoulos (9-5-0), (+110) – women’s strawweight bout – Kowalkiewicz by unanimous decision
- Orion Cosce (8-2-0), () vs Gilbert Urbina (7-3-0), () – welterweight bout – Urbina by 2nd round KO/TKO
- Ilir Latifi (17-9-0), (+180) vs Rodrigo Nascimento (10-1-0), () – heavyweight bout – Nascimento by split decision
- Chase Hooper (11-3-1), () vs Nick Fiore (6-2-0), () – lightweight bout – Hooper by unanimous decision
- Natalia Silva (15-5-1), () vs Victoria Leonardo (9-6-0), () – women’s flyweight bout – Silva by 1st round KO/TKO
- Takashi Sato (16-7-0), (+105) vs Themba Gorimbo (11-4-0), (-125) – welterweight bout – Gorimbo by unanimous decision
That wraps it up for the UFC Fight Night Vegas 73 results. If you enjoyed this article and want to see more of our UFC MMA action (and we certainly hope you do), follow the link. There’s no fight card scheduled for next week so check back with us for the next UFC Saturday, June 6th, 2023 when the UFC Fight Night Vegas 74 returns to the APEX.
Finally, if you liked this article, then hit the like button and subscribe to our newsletter. Thank you for allowing us to be your source for news and current events in the world of mixed martial arts.